1950 Moto Guzzi Airone; Moto Guzzi; 1950; CMM206
1950 Moto Guzzi AironeAbout this object
Moto Guzzi developed the Airone (Heron) from the earlier PE model in 1939. Its 246cc, horizontal, single-cylinder, four-stroke, overhead valve, external flywheel engine developed 12hp (9kW) at 5,200rpm and was equipped with a four-speed gearbox. Its good performance and fine handling quickly established it as the most popular 250cc model on the Italian market. The frame includes several pressed-steel components with swinging arm rear suspension. In 1947, telescopic front forks replaced the girder forks and in 1948 the engine was upgraded with alloy cylinder head and barrel in place of the earlier cast iron components. In 1949, a Sport model was introduced with aluminium wheel rims and a larger, 25mm carburettor that enabled a top speed of around 97kph (60mph). The Touring model was produced until 1951 and the Sport model until 1957.
As the little brother of the popular 499cc Falcone, the Airone has become very sought after because of its eligibility for the classic celebration events such as the Motogiro d’Italia, which is now of six-day trials format with the endurance road racing events no longer permitted. This 1950 model was purchased from The Netherlands for the Nelson NZ Classic Motorcycles collection in September 2011, and was acquired by Transport World for their Classic Motorcycle Mecca collection in May 2016.
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.