1913 FN Single; La Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre; 1913; CMM351
1913 FN SingleAbout this object
There are few manufacturers of early motorcycles more respected than Fabrique Nationale d'Armes de Guerre (FN) of Herstal in Belgium, a long established precision manufacturer of firearms. FN produced its first motorcycle in 1900 by mounting an engine in a bicycle frame and had developed its first production model by the end of the following year. It featured a 133cc single cylinder engine with atmospheric inlet valve and mechanical exhaust. The engine size was repeatedly increased to 188cc, 224cc, 247cc and 285cc (rated at 2.75hp) in 1912 by which time a mechanically-operated inlet valve had replaced the atmospheric valve.
Variable pulley transmission was introduced on the belt-driven, single cylinder models in 1907 but was replaced by shaft drive with a two-speed, hand-operated gearbox and a cone clutch in 1910. A multi-plate clutch was adopted in 1911. In 1912, a one-piece fuel tank was provided along with a separate carrier and stand.
This 1913 example was purchased for the NZ Classic Motorcycles collection from an auction of the E.J. Coles collection in Las Vegas in March 2015, and purchased by Transport World in May 2016. It has undergone a restoration at sometime and features a hand-operated clutch and foot-operated rear brake.
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.