Scholer’s Corner, Windsor, NSW.; Alfred T. Clint 1879-1936; 1923; F65
Scholer’s Corner, Windsor, NSW.About this object
This painting was exhibited twice in the 1920s:
1. Sept. 12 - Oct. 4, 1924. Society of Artists Exhibition. No. 181 in catalogue. 8 Guineas.
2. June 2-17, 1925. Australian Fine Arts Gallery. No. 13 in catalogue 12 Guineas [Clint ephemera collection.]
The work numbered F64 in this collection seems to have been a preparatory sketch.
1923Medium and Materials
Watercolour. H 30.5cm x W 40.7cmPlace Notes
Scholer’s Corner, George St, Windsor.
George Street is the oldest street in Windsor and was already in use as the main thoroughfare through the settlement when Governor Macquarie named it, and Windsor, in 1811. In the 1920s, when the Clints lived in Windsor, it was the main commercial centre of the town with the Post Office, banks, hotels and the major shops strung out along its length, interspersed with private houses. In the 1920s Scholer’s Store dominated the north-western corner of George and Fitzgerald Streets. This building now houses a cake shop, and the building to the left is now the Home Store. The vacant block on the south east corner was earlier occupied by the Barraba Hotel which burned down in 1874.
Alfred Thomas Clint (1879-1936), landscape painter and scenic artist, belonged to the fourth generation of Clint artists, being the fourth child and eldest son of Alfred Clint Junior and the brother of George E. and Sydney R. Clint. He was born in Sydney and received his first artistic training from his father, later studying at the Sydney-based Julian Ashton Art School. He worked as a scenic artist in the business established by his father, designing and creating theatrical scenery, Christmas displays for large department stores, and parade floats for various institutions, and continuing the business after his father's death in 1923 in partnership with his brothers. He and his brothers also figured in the Sydney Fine Arts scene. He became a member of the Society of Artists and exhibited regularly at the Society's shows from 1910 to 1935, and also had works displayed in, among others, the Australian Fine Art Galleries, the David Jones Gallery and the Blaxland Gallery . In 1917 he married Gwendoline Drape (1898-1978) and had three children. For most of his life he lived in Sydney, but for a time in the 1920s lived in the Hawkesbury region with his father (who died in 1923) and his brothers. After his death his only son Julian Clint undertook the task of collecting and preserving the remaining unsold works of this generation of Clints.
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. If you would like more information on our copyright policy, click here.