The Orange & District Historical Society was formed in May 1949, by a group of Orange citizens interested in preserving history and historical links. They voluntarily erected a memorial to Banjo Paterson and became involved in the erection of another memorial to Sir Thomas Mitchell. In 1951, they were involved in the planning to celebrate the Centenary of the discovery of Gold at Ophir in 1851 and in the preservation of historic graves in the district. The first president was Richard Sheridan.
The society met at several venues (members’ homes), before moving in 1968 to the Cultural Centre in Sales Street (the former Infants School). Here the first museum was established in 1971. In 1986 the society moved to the former Library in McNamara Street after the City Library was relocated to the Civic Square. The society’s museum operated here unti 1999, when the site was sold for development and the collection moved into storage. The society and its archive was then moved to the present location in the Heritage Cottage at 148 March Street.
Promoting local and regional history
Wednesdays at cottage 10 am to 4 pm
Orange History Alive evenings at Senior Citizens Club
Cataloguing & assessment of our collection
Celebration of Banjo Paterson’s birthday (17th February)
Working in cooperation and partnership with Orange City Council to see the construction of a regional museum to enhance and preserve local history and heritage
View Orange Project: from a photographic perspective
Scanning & preserving Central Western Daily negative collection
Encouraging youth to have an interest in history
Scanning Orange City Council minutes
Involvement with Central Tablelands chapter of Museums Australia
Member of Royal Australian History Association
Associated with National Trust (Orange Branch), Marsden History Research Centre, Orange Heritage Group and Orange Family History Group
Representation on the Central Tablelands
Chapter of Museums Australia, Orange
Regional Museum Reference Group, Regional
Museums Network, Canobolas Museums
Network, and Orange Regional Museum
Community Committee Orange Cultural Heritage Community Committee
Specialty days—Fredericks Valley/ Lucknow/ March/ Cadia gold/Borenore Marble
Large collection of objects, photographs, books and archives related to Orange and surrounding districts that can be accessed for research given sufficient notice
Historians are available by appointment
Members can provide assistance with group tours
Quarterly newsletter History Alive
PO box 1626 Orange NSW 2800 Australia
President: Dave Sykes 6362 1682 firstname.lastname@example.org Vice-president: Ross Maroney email@example.com Treasurer: Phil Stevenson 0402 412 188 firstname.lastname@example.org Secretary: Elisabeth Edwards 6362 8647 email@example.com Committee: Frank Johnson 0417 687 579 firstname.lastname@example.org Jenny Maher 0419 288 103 email@example.com Annette Neville 6361 4341 Kevanne40@yahoo.com.au Terry O’Malley 6362 1428 firstname.lastname@example.org Rhys Williams 0458 078 688 email@example.com Publicity: Elisabeth Edwards Honorary historians: Elizabeth Griffin, Sue Milne, Ross Maroney, Julie Sykes and Phil Stevenson.
148 March St Orange NSW 2800 Australia
Wednesdays 10am - 4pm
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.