Photograph: "German Airmen's Graves, Nazareth"; 1918; 018/004j
Photograph: "German Airmen's Graves, Nazareth"About this object
Photograph captioned on the back:
"German airmen's graves in the corner of the Monastery ground Nazareth"
The photograph shows a number of wooden crosses made from the propellers of crashed aircraft. These served as temporary grave markers for the fallen airmen.
During WWI the Holy Family civilian hospital founded by the Austrian Barmherzigen Brüder (Merciful Brothers) in 1882 was requisitioned and turned into Imperial German Field Hospital no. 213. Some of the soldiers and pilots hospitalized there died from their wounds or disease, and 51 were interred in the monastery beside the field hospital.
1918Subject and Association Keywords
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.