Rock fragment, Sydney Harbour Tunnel; Rotary Club; 1988; 2014.319.1

From

North Sydney Heritage Centre, Stanton Library

Name/Title

Rock fragment, Sydney Harbour Tunnel

About this object

Rock fragment, mounted on wooden plinth, with brass plaque affixed, engraved 'This fragment of rock was unearthed in the initial excavations for the Sydney Harbour Tunnel. Sydney Australia 1988', with the Rotary Club and Sydney Harbour Tunnel logo.

The Sydney Harbour Bridge Act was passed in 1922 and Public Works commenced work on the northern approaches in 1923. Dorman Long and Co won the contract to build the Bridge. They based their steel fabrication at Milsons Point where the cliff face was blasted to fit the huge workshops. Up to 500 homes and businesses in Milsons Point, Kirribilli and North Sydney were demolished to build the Bridge’s approaches and pylons, and the rail line from the new North Sydney station to Waverton. The resumptions began during a state-wide housing shortage and ended on the eve of the Great Depression. The opening of the Bridge on the 19th March 1932 was a huge affair involving official and locally organised events. Despite the trauma of the resumptions and the hardship of the Depression, North Sydney residents and businesses organised a week of celebrations. The Bridge was celebrated as a national icon; more souvenirs were produced to mark the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge in 1932 than for any previous event in Australia’s history. The Bridge changed North Sydney from a vital transport hub into a corridor through which people passed on their way to and from the city. Upon opening in 1932, its six-lane road was named the Bradfield Highway. The Warringah Expressway was begun in 1960 and local residents were again faced with demolition and upheaval. North Sydney was cut in two upon its completion in 1968. The Sydney Harbour Tunnel was opened in 1992 and the Bridge’s northern pylons came to house its vehicle emission vents.

Maker

Rotary Club

Maker Role

Manufacturer

Date Made

1988

Medium and Materials

rock, wood, brass

Inscription and Marks

Sticker on underside printed: 'A community service fund raising project by the Rotary Club of Wollstonecraft, Box 360 PO, St Leonards 2065, Sydney, NSW, Australia.'

Subject and Association Description

Plaques

Collection

Sydney Harbour Bridge collection

Object Type

Commemorative objects

Object number

2014.319.1

Copyright Licence  

Attribution - Non-commercial (cc) Attribution - Non-commercial (cc)

Tags

Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.

Share

eHive copyright disclaimer

It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.