Nail; unknown; BMHC_14143
NailAbout this object
Large hand forged iron nail with a slight bend in bottom half.
Found with the aid of a metal detector on the site of the artillery battery at 'Fort Cormiston', Brownfields Lane, Riverside, Tasmania.
manufacturerMedium and Materials
102 (l) x 13mm(w( (at head)Subject and Association Keywords
The artillery battery, 'Fort Cormiston', on the western side of the Tamar River, Tasmania, was built 1864-66 to guard the approach to Launceston in case of attack. Periodic drills were held there by the Launceston Volunteer Artillery Corps. In 1884 the guns were removed and not replaced. It was then used as a magazine for Launceston Council until 1891.
Refer to: Richardson, P. (ed.), On the Tide, vol. 1, p. 78.
Ernie Bennett collectionObject Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.