Based at the former Stacey Hill Farm, Wolverton, the core of the collection is made up of items collected and preserved from farms and factories closed down to make way for the development of Milton Keynes new town. The material held relates to the social history of the Milton Keynes area from the 1800s to the 20th Century. Items include
- rural crafts such as cobblers, tinsmiths and blacksmiths tools
- large agricultural tools and equipment including tractors, a threshing machine and William Smith steam ploughing equipment
- an elevator, full range of ploughs, wind pump and horse gear all from E&H Roberts Ironworks, once at the heart of nearby Deanshanger
- significant items from Wolverton railway Works including the employee record cards, bath house and the biggest steam tram to be built anywhere in the world
- domestic social history items including a street of shops, with the actual shop-fronts
- Victorian furniture and musical and scientific instruments including a working polyphon and a Wimshurst Machine, a static electricity generator, that was made for Wimshurst by his technicians
Milton Keynes Museum McConnell Drive Wolverton Milton Keynes Mk12 5EL
1st November to 31st March- Saturday & Sunday 11am-4.30pm 1st April to 31st October - Wednesday - Sunday 11.00am-4.30pm PLUS Good Friday, Easter Monday and Bank Holiday Mondays in May and August. Also every day during local half terms.
Adults: £9 Children aged 5-16: £6.00 Under 5s: free Families (2 Adults + Up To Four Children): £26.00 Retired and unwaged: £7.00 (For our disabled visitors we are happy to admit one carer free of charge)
Search mkmuseum's Collection
Explore By Object Tags
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.