Photographs of the Construction of Leslie Harrison Dam at Capalaba, Redland Shir...
Photographs of the Construction of Leslie Harrison Dam at Capalaba, Redland Shire/City from 1966 to 1968About this object
A Group of Photographs of different stages of the Construction of Leslie Harrison Dam at Capalaba, Redland Shire/City from 1966 to 1968.
The Leslie Harrison Dam is a water storage reservoir on Tingalpa Creek for the Redland City Council. The dam forms the Tingalpa Reservoir which is situated between the suburbs of Capalaba, Chandler and Burbank. The dam was completed in 1968 and provides approximately 20% of the Redland City water supply. When full, excess water flows over the spillway into the lower reaches of Tingalpa Creek. Swimming and fishing are prohibited in the reservoir.
In July 2008, the Queensland Government took over ownership of the dam as part of the water security project in the South East Queensland region, known as the South East Queensland Water Grid. The dam is effectively under the control of the government owned body: SEQWater.
Catchment Area - 87 square kilometres; Surface Area - 470 hectacres;
Length of dam wall - 535 metres; Height of dam wall - 25 metres;
Dam Volume - 315,0000 cubic metres;
Full Supply Capacity - 24,868 megalitres;
Type of Construction - Zoned Earthfill Embankment;
Spillway - Vertical Lift Gates;
Controlled Gated Spillway Discharge Capacity - 1,450 cubic metres per second
Robert Leslie Harrison:
He was born at Gleneagle on 9 May 1903 to Robert and Sarah (nee Kerlin) Harrison. He was one of six children who grew up on a dairy farm near Beenleigh, Queensland, his father attaining the position of Chairman of Directors of the Logan and Albert Cooperative Dairy Association. The Harrison family had departed Northern Ireland in 1859 for the Victorian goldfields, but quickly made their way to Brisbane where family members had already settled. Their eventual selection call "Broomfield" at Cedar Grove, Beaudesert is still in the hands of Harrison descendants. In 1957, Leslie Harrison became a member for the Country Party, of the Queensland State Parliament for the seat of Darlington, which took in areas of the Redlands. He was the driving force behind the fight for state government funds to help pay for the dam on Tingalpa Creek. He died in 1966 before the completion of the dam.
P4.1: July/August 1966 - The Dam site just after clearing of the trees had commenced. The woman in the photograph is Yvonne Blakeney (nee Gregory), daughter of the photographer, Ralph Gregory of "Redland Times".
P4.2: September/October 1966 - The main pipe from the dam installed to the treatment plant and about to be covered over.
P4.3: October 1966 - Bulldozers scoop the earth from the future spillway and take the earth to build the main wall of the dam.
P4.4: Early 1967 - The earth portion of the main wall is now nearly complete and the control inlet tower is being installed.
P4.5: April 1967 - The stone rip-rap is being placed on the inner face of the main wall.
P4.6: April/May 1967 - The spillway is now under construction and reinforcing for the concrete base and walls is in position.
P4.7: May 1967 - Spillway works continue and the dam floor is now cleared of timber and debris.
P4.8: June 1967 - The concrete spillway nears completion. Meanwhile the dam is filling rapidly.
Near Capalaba, Redland Shire/City, QueenslandMaker
black and white printDate Made
1966-1967Medium and Materials
Photographic Card (Paper) with cardboard frames and coreflute mountingMeasurements
Each photograph: 570 x 456 mmCredit Line
Donated by Ralph GregoryObject number
This object is from
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.