Wagon, fruit - Collins; E Bloomer; 1900; R579

From

REDLAND MUSEUM

Name/Title

Wagon, fruit - Collins

About this object

Painted green with yellow and light green lining. Chassis and wheels painted yellow. Inside cart, grey. Wooden vehicle for carrying goods. Wood chassis and enclosed tray, mounted on four wood spoke and rim wheels with steel bosses and tyres. Single long shaft for harnessing two or four horses. Wooden seat with metal brackets. Wood brake blocks on wood beam - metal rod linkage to upright steel lever. Larger rear wheels on fixed axle and smaller front axle on pivoting turntable. Wood axles with double opposing elliptical springs, fixed to underside of cart. Flat tray body with wood floor and wood side walls and sloping boards on top. Rear upright wall panel hinged and on chains.Until recent times, agriculture in the rich red soil was the main activity and source of economic wealth in the Redlands. The district became famous for its fruit and vegetables. For orchardists the fruit wagon was an important means of transport for the farmer to move his produce to both the railway station for the Sydney market and the Redland Bay wharf for Brisbane. This particular wagon was built in 1901 by local coachbuilder and blacksmith, Esau Bloomer whose business was located in Weinam Street in Redland Bay. Esau Bloomer, who won prizes for his blacksmith work, set up his business in Redland Bay in 1900 but by 1924 had passed it on to his son Eddie. He built this sprung wagon with its long shaft to suit two or four horses for local farmer James Collins who had settled in the Cleveland region in 1881, developing his property into a successful orchard. Three generations of the Collins family have said to have used this well built, sturdy wagon.

Maker

E Bloomer

Maker Role

manufacturer

Date Made

1900

Place Made

Queensland

Place Notes

Redland Bay

Medium and Materials

Indeterminate (Woods)
Steel (Metals - Ferrous)
Paint (Surface Treatments)

Inscription and Marks

<Painted on side > 'J>D> Collins \ REDLAND BAY \ E. Bloomer, Builder, Redland Bay 1901'
<Stamped on swingle bars > 'J. Laing'

Measurements

5.85m x 1.9m x 2m

Credit Line

Donated by Mr G Kennedy

Object number

R579

Copyright Licence  

All rights reserved

This object is from

Tags

Share

eHive copyright disclaimer

It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. If you would like more information on our copyright policy, click here.