The Boot Inn, 1889: etching; Frederick Landseer Griggs RA; 1898; 288
The Boot Inn, 1889: etchingAbout this object
Etching depicting The Boot Inn (27 Bridge Street, Hitchin) in 1889. It depicts the north gable end of a cross-wing and the hall of a sixteenth- or seventeenth-century timber-framed house. A woman and child are standing in the street, while a man enters the door of the pub and another woman stands in the entry to the left (east). The pub became The Royal Oak in 1898, but the Museum Service has the original inn sign depicting a man’s boot.
It is rumoured that soldiers were billeted here during the Napoleonic Wars when there were fears of a French invasion.
1898Medium and Materials
Organic | Paper
155 × 185 mm (card mount)
94 × 130 mm (printed area)
Hitchin MuseumCredit Line
W T Dobbs, 5 Queen's Road, Royston, HertsObject Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.