Town Plate wooden trenchers; Post-Medieval; 1980.96.1365-7
Town Plate wooden trenchersAbout this object
Wooden trenchers purchased in 1556. Ceremonial events often ended with an official dinner. The Corporation bought a large number of wooden trenchers for official use in 1556. The small depression in the corner was used for salt.Maker Role
Used by Abingdon Borough for official banquets and formed part of the Town Plate.Medium and Materials
woodStyle and Iconography
Post-MedievalStyle and Iconography
Square trencher height 160mm / width 170mm / depth 10mm.
Square trencher height 160mm / width 175mm. Round trencher diameter 240mm / depth 30mm.
The town acquired a charter in 1556 from Queen Mary. The Borough Corporation was composed of the mayor, nine principal burgesses, at least sixteen secondary burgesses and two bailiffs who collected rents and ran the weekly court. The Borough also had the right to elect a Member of Parliament, and to appoint Magistrates, a Town Clerk, and two Sergeants at Mace, and to undertake official business.Collection
Abingdon-on-Thames Town CouncilCredit Line
On loan from Abingdon-on-Thames Town CouncilObject Type
This object is from
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.