[Boiling Down Works Staff, Washdyke, Timaru]; 1870-1890; 3555
[Boiling Down Works Staff, Washdyke, Timaru]About this object
Staff posed outside the Boiling Down Works at Washdyke, Timaru, circa 1878. Appearing behind the rows of men are two of the works buildings and a tall brick chimney (on the left).
Before the advent of the frozen meat industry there were few options for disposing of old sheep. At this time sheep were farmed for their wool only - the meat was only useful for home consumption or dog food. Disposing of old sheep was a significant problem until the boiling down works opened in 1870. Despite dealing with more than 50,000 sheep in its first year the works were unable to cope with demand. The tallow produced by the works added a significant contribution to Timaru's exports.
Handwritten on mount at top left is "Washdyke Works".
1870-1890Medium and Materials
190(h) x 234(w) mmSubject and Association Keywords
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.