Ophir Post Office help

Ophir, formerly known as Blacks No 1 or Blackton, was a thriving gold mining town established in the 1860s.

In 1875 the settlement, complete with stores, hotels, banks, churches, hospital, police station and school, was named Ophir after the Biblical place where King Solomon obtained gold for the temple in Jerusalem. In October 1886 a new Post Office of schist masonry with plaster quoins and window dressings was built by stonemason Edward Booth, replacing a smaller operation in Ophir.

In 1976 the Post Office was taken over by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust (now Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga) and restored, and still operates postal services for three hours each weekday morning. Its interior remains largely unchanged from the time of its construction.

Contact Details

Swindon St, Ophir, Central Otago

64-3-447 3738

information@heritage.org.nz

www.historicplaces.org.nz/en/placesToVisit/otagosouthland/Ophir.aspx

Visitor Information

Swindon St, Ophir, Central Otago

Mon-Fri 9am­-12pm (as a working post office) Closed public holidays

Free

Facilities

Parking

Other Facilities

Museum brochures/postal services.
-45.109695 169.60524 16 Ophir Post Office
eHive copyright disclaimer

It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.