Photograph [Main Street, Ophir, 1891]; 1891; XOPO.27
Photograph [Main Street, Ophir, 1891]About this object
Photograph; depicting Ophir main street. The post office is visible to the right of the picture. In the foreground is a telegraph or electricity pole. Various groups of people are visible in the street. The photograph is mounted onto a card backing which has a printed border. It is captioned 'Ophir 1891' in blue ballpoint, and '1891' in black felt tip, both on the bottom edge. The bottom edge of the card has been torn off, as have three corners.
Ophir, formerly known as 'Blacks' or 'Blackton', was a thriving gold mining town established in the 1860s. In the early years, when the population was around 1,000, Ophir is said to have competed with Clyde for the headquarters of the Vincent County Council. The town stagnated after being by-passed by the railway in the early 20th century. However, this has led to the survival of a number of structures, including the Ophir Post Office.
For more information about Ophir Post Office, which is cared for by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere Taonga, visit our website.
1891Medium and Materials
21.2 x 31.8cmCredit Line
Collection of Ophir Post Office, New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere TaongaObject Type
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.