Photograph [Old Blacks School, Ophir]; 19th Century; XOPO.13
Photograph [Old Blacks School, Ophir]About this object
Photograph; a black and white, landscape-oriented photograph mounted onto a pale blue card backing. The photograph depicts a large group of children outside a large stone school building. A male teacher is at the left. A row of smaller children, both male and female, are seated in the front, with two further rows of standing children behind. The photograph is captioned 'Old Blacks School, Ophir' in a blue ballpoint hand.
'Blacks' (short for Black diggings) was the early name for Ophir and refers to the discovery of gold at Ophir in 1863 on land grazed by Charles F. Black. The town was officially declared Ophir in 1875, said to be after the biblical Ophir where the Queen of Sheba obtained her gold for King Solomon. Mrs W Drake was postmistress at Ophir Post Office circa 1930s.
For more information about Ophir Post Office, which is cared for by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere Taonga, visit our website.
19th CenturyMedium and Materials
24.2 x 27.6cmCredit Line
Collection of Ophir Post Office, New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere TaongaObject Type
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.