Photograph [Bannockburn Bridge]; G A Tomlinson; 19th Century; XOPO.12
Photograph [Bannockburn Bridge]About this object
Photograph; a black and white, landscape-oriented photograph mounted onto a dark grey card backing. The photograph depicts a long wooden and steel bridge with two stone turetts at each end, corssing a river in a rocky landscape with hills behind. A man and a woman in a horse trap are driving across the bridge. Some kind of sluicing or dredging boat or machine is visible up the river. At the bottom right corner of the photograph, on the mount, is embossed G A Tomlinson / CHRISTCHURCH. On the reverse is written 'Bannockburn Bridge'.
Bannockburn was a small gold mining settlement situated to the west of Ophir, near Cromwell. The Bannockburn Bridge, formerly known as the MacAndrew Bridge (after the early superintendant of the province) was constructed in 1896-97. It replaced an earlier bridge built in 1874 that had been washed away by flood waters in 1878, and then again damaged by fire in 1896. It is uncertain which incarnation of the bridge over the Kawerau River is represented here.
For more information about Ophir Post Office, which is cared for by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere Taonga, visit our website.
19th CenturyMedium and Materials
25.4 x 30.6cmCredit Line
Collection of Ophir Post Office, New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere TaongaObject Type
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.