Photograph [Bannockburn Hotel, Central Otago]; G A Tomlinson; Late 19th Century;...
Photograph [Bannockburn Hotel, Central Otago]About this object
Photograph; a black and white, landscape-oriented photograph mounted onto a dark card backing. The photograph depicts the Bannockburn Hotel, a long, corrugated iron building. The shingle road is visible in the foreground. Outside the building are two horses held by a central man; to his left are two women and a child in a gig drawn by a single horse, whose nose is held by a man. The name plate of the Bannockburn Hotel is painted above one of the doors. Hills are visible in the distance. Stamped onto the bottom right hand corner of the mount is G A Tomlinson / CHRISTCHURCH. In a modern hand on the reverse is written 'Bannockburn Hotel / Donald McRae / Holding horses at right / Mrs McRae in buggy on left'.
Gold was first discovered at Bannockburn, a small settlement to the west of Ophir, in the spring of 1862. By November of that year there were approximately 2000 miners active in the area. Amenities such as hotels, a school, a church, and a general store were established to service the growing population.
For more information about Ophir Post Office, which is cared for by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere Taonga, visit our website.
Late 19th CenturyMedium and Materials
25.5 x 30.6cmCredit Line
Collection of Ophir Post Office, New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere TaongaObject Type
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.