Trowel; Pre 1880; XOPO.51
TrowelAbout this object
Trowel; a small trowel with a diamond-shaped metal handle with a rounded tip, affixed to a roughly turned wooden handle carved with three fine bands towards the end.
This object was used by Henry Blake during the construction of the Daniel O'Connell Bridge. Designed by Vincent County engineer L. D. MacGeorge, the bridge was built to serve the growing mining town of Ophir and to improve communications between Ophir, Omakau, and Alexandra. Construction was completed in 1880. The name ‘Daniel O’Connell Bridge’ reflects the high proportion of Irish migrants in the area. Daniel O'Connell was a famous figure in the fight for Irish political freedom.
For more information about Ophir Post Office, which is cared for by the New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere Taonga, visit our website.
Pre 1880Medium and Materials
L: 20.3cmCredit Line
Collection of Ophir Post Office, New Zealand Historic Places Trust Pouhere TaongaObject Type
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.