Tung Oil Plantation Workers; 17-20
Tung Oil Plantation WorkersAbout this object
A) Tung Oil Plantation workers at Te Arai.
B) Andy Smith was the cook in the Bunkhouse at the Tung Oil Plantation, Te Arai, circa 1933
C) Tung Oil Plantation workers at Te Arai having some light hearted fun.
The Tung Oil Plantation was a Government Relief Work Scheme for unemployed men during the depression. 700 acres were ploughed by contract from the Wellsford-Mangawai Road to the vicinity of the old Te Arai Cemetery. 56,700 trees were planted which also includes replanting.
Tung nuts were imported from Japan and grown to produce tung oil which was to be used in the manufacture of paint, varnish and linoleum etc. The tung nuts were unsuitable for NZ soil. Flooding occurred along a dip on Braddock Road where the tung nuts were grown. The land was very boggy resulting in never-ending rescue missions with the bullocks being used to pull the tractor free.
The work at Tomarata/Te Arai began in 1929 and was closed down in 1936 by the Government.
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.