Second St Michaels Church 1886; 16-84
Second St Michaels Church 1886About this object
2nd St Michaels of the Angels Church, Hakaru, built 1886. Foundation stone for this church was laid Feb 26th 1886 & dedicated by Rev.Bishop Cowie of Auckland. After 20 years a bigger church was needed and on 23 February 1886, the foundation stone was laid for a new church. It was dedicated on 1 April 1887.
The original St Michaels of the Angels Church was shifted to Huketere on the Kaipara Harbour in 1939 and known as St Michaels on the Hill. Services are still held occasionally.
The Reverend John Tutin (d 1872) was the first pastor. The Parsonage, where the family lived, was built close by. The Tutin family was well respected in the district, and John's daughters, Sarah and Elizabeth, held Sunday School and later formed a private girls school. One of John's sons was a lay reader in the Sunday services.
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.