Photograph of the first Panmure Bridge; 1910; 3600
Photograph of the first Panmure BridgeAbout this object
Photograph of the first Panmure Bridge. The bridge is a swing span bridge which allowed for navigation up the Tamaki River. The view is looking west towards Mt. Wellington.
The bridge was constructed from 19 spans with the swing span on the Pakuranga side. The swing span segment measured approximately 12.2 metres and was operated by a hand winch.
The bridge was designed by the Engineer-in-Chief of the Auckland Province Mr W. Weaver. The bluestones in the abutments weighed up to 2 tons and were imported from Melbourne and the ironwork came prefabricated from Sydney.
The bridge was constructed in 1864-1865 and opened to traffic in 1866.
Black & white photographic printDate Made
1910sMedium and Materials
Howick & Districts Historical Society IncorporatedObject Type
eHive copyright disclaimer
It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. For further information see our Copyright Claims page.