Collect it. Connect it. Show it to the world.
History

Tin, biscuit; 1920s; 2002/070.08

Tin, biscuit; 1920s; 2002/070.08
Name/Title
Tin, biscuit
About this object
Both the lid and base of this rectangular biscuit tin are red with gold edges. The lid is further decorated with scroll designs and, inside an oval, a picnic scene featuring a family in 1920s clothing. Above the scene in each corner is a diagonal blue ribbon that reads ‘Bruce’s’ and underneath are the words ‘Carnival Assorted.’ Each side of the tin also reads ‘Carnival Assorted’ while the ends read ‘Bruce’s.’ All lettering is silver. The lid of the tin is tight-fitting and separate from the base.
Date Made
1920s
Medium and Materials
Tin
Measurements
Height: 8 cm
Length: 23.5 cm
Width: 16.5 cm
Subject and Association Keywords
Bruce, J R, Ltd, biscuit factory, Timaru
Subject and Association Description
In 1915, James Russell Bruce, James Wilson, James Macaulay, and John Hutchinson formed the flourmilling firm J.R. Bruce Ltd. Bruce contributed the name and management while the remaining partners provided capital. Operations commenced the following year in a small mill in Timaru, the success of which led to the construction of a second mill in 1921.

1925 saw the erection of a biscuit factory that employed 30 people and produced 25 tons of biscuits per day, a rate which doubled two years later with the installation of a second oven. Bruce’s biscuits proved a success and during WWII the company sold over 4000 tons of biscuits to the armed services. Biscuit production stopped in 1955, although the company continued to produce flour.

J.R. Bruce Ltd. merged in 1964 with another milling firm, Evans & Co. Ltd., in an effort to create a company that could rival local milling giant Timaru Milling Co. Ltd., founded in 1884 by Bruce’s uncle, James Bruce. The effort failed and in 1966 Bruce Evans Ltd. merged with its rival. The Timaru Milling Co. Ltd. closed in 2005.

James Russell Bruce was born in North Otago in 1859 and worked in a Temuka flour mill before moving to Timaru, where he married James Bruce’s daughter, Annie Graham Bruce (c.1859-1935), in 1890. After founding J.R. Bruce Ltd. he served as manager until he retired in 1936 and on the Board of Directors until his death in 1941. In 1922, he became the first miller in New Zealand to install a plansifter system, which created higher-quality flour than the older real sifters and would eventually gain acceptance across the country.
Object number
2002/070.08

Tags

Help

Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.


Bookmark and Share
+ Add Comment Help
eHive copyright disclaimer

It is the responsibility of the eHive Account Holder to gain copyright clearance for any images or content published on eHive. If you are concerned about the copyright status for any content in eHive or would like more information on using or ordering copies of content, please contact the Account Holder of that content. If you would like more information on our copyright policy, click here.

© 2014  Vernon Systems Ltd